From Personal Computers to Personal Clouds

Summary

From Personal Computers to Personal Clouds is a whitepaper that explains why the future of personal clouds will be very different from what you have imagined. As more and more of our interactions move online, we increasingly have need of an online place that operates for us. That requires an operating system so that developers have a framework to work within. Operating systems provide a core set of services around identity and data as well as a programming model.

Cloud Wordle

I've created a white paper from the series of blog posts I did over the past few weeks. If you've read those, this will all be familiar. The white paper is a convenient way to get the whole thing in a single package or share the ideas with someone else. Here's the description:

From Personal Computers to Personal Clouds explains why the future of personal clouds will be very different from what you have imagined. As more and more of our interactions move online, we increasingly have need of an online place that operates for us. Personal clouds must become more than appliances to achieve their real potential. While appliances provide value, they can't anticipate every need. They aren't flexible enough. This paper outlines a vision of personal clouds as general purpose virtual computers. Making that vision real requires an operating system so that developers have a framework to work within. Operating systems provide a core set of services around identity and data as well as a programming model. Download a copy now to learn how those services will work.

This paper is the first in a series that will explain how all of this fits with what we're calling The Live Web. You can download the white paper in a number of formats (I think the iBooks version looks the best):

Please feel free to share this white paper widely. I'm interested in hearing what you think of the ideas.

Please leave comments using the Hypothes.is sidebar.

Last modified: Thu Oct 10 12:47:18 2019.