Quotes from the Software 2006 CIO Panel

Thomas Beck has some thoughts about the CIO panel from Software 2006 that I put up on IT Conversations last week. He pulled out a few key quotes:

[On dealmaking] "You've got to remember, the people that cut the deal aren't the people that manage the relationship. I don't care if the [software] salespeople leave with blood coming out of both of their ears. I'm not going to see those guys again."

[On the widespread use of wikis and blogs at Motorola] "Where the real work gets done is down in the ranks that interact with each other and exchange information and build ideas and come to conclusions and do stuff. Management is just overhead."

[On introducing wikis and blogs at Motorola] "I purposefully didn't tell anyone upstairs or laterally that this was going on until we got to a scale where we couldn't stop it."

[On vendor dislikes] "The easiest way for you to watch me pull the trap door lever in my office and drop you into a pit of crocodiles is 'tell me about your problems.' 'Hmm... interesting, we have some software that we think will fit your problems.'"

[On vendor likes] "I love honesty. My best vendors pull me aside and say 'you know that idea you have, it's stupid. Don't do it, it's a bad idea and here's why.'"
From Beckshome.com - Great Audio
Referenced Tue Oct 24 2006 21:31:48 GMT-0600 (MDT)

I used to hate when sales people would ask me to tell them about my problems. Ughhh!

Please leave comments using the Hypothes.is sidebar.

Last modified: Thu Oct 10 12:47:18 2019.