Employee Web Sites

Yesterday, as I was meeting with Siebel, I started to develop a vision for what a employee web site ought to have:

• Unified help desk, not just across organizational boundaries, but across functional areas as well (like Facilities, IT, HR, Finance, Fleet, etc.).  When the bathroom near my office needs attention, I want to go to the same place to get help as I go to get help with my email or fix a problem with my latest pay stub. 
  • Alerts for critical issues, personalized and targeted.  For example, if I work in the Ag building, I don't want to see heating issues from the Capitol. 
  • Content that allows employee self-service.  This also ought to be targeted by geography, job function, and maybe even past activity.  This kind of content includes static content as well as applications that let an employees do things like change their 401K withholdings, etc. 
  • Analytics pertaining to their job.  There's a lot more to be said here. 
  • General communications to employees, again targeted.
  • Logs of my recent activity on the site. 

The more I look at it, the less I see the difference between the kind of site a shared service organization like ITS or Fleet might build for its customers and the employee facing web site for the organization (like Innerweb).  They ought to be one and the same. 

Please leave comments using the Hypothes.is sidebar.

Last modified: Thu Oct 10 12:47:20 2019.